I've been on a smoothie kick lately- for at least a month now- and I wanted to share my recipe. It's completely satisfying and totally simple. Here are the ingredients I always have on hand:
Plain or vanilla lowfat yogurt
Orange juice
Bananas
Frozen fruit: strawberries, blueberries, peaches
I don't measure-I just throw stuff in- but I always add the orange juice first, just a couple inches, then the bananas (1 or 2), and then a couple handfuls of whatever fruit sounds best that particular morning- most days its a little of everything. The yogurt helps make a smooth consistency but not a lot is needed- I buy the 24oz or larger containers and just scoop a couple big spoonfuls into the blender. You can make it thicker or thinner depending on how much OJ you add after you've blended it for a few seconds. This method makes two 16oz servings plus a little extra that goes to Kleven and is plenty big enough for a two year old- he loves it too! My plan is to start adding things like flax seed or protein powder. Oh- and another tip- if you don't use frozen fruit, you can save the leftover serving in the freezer and add it to your next-day's batch to get the frostier effect without adding ice. Now that I've spelled it all out it makes it seem more complicated than it really is! Try it and let me know what you come up with!
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Best Smoothie Ever
Posted by The Ayers Family at 9:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Mmmm... that sounds yummy. And flaxseed is the best thing for you. At least, that is what I have been told!
Yeah, flaxseed gives you omega-3 fatty acids. :-) I'll have to give it a try, sounds yummy!
Try adding a ton of spinach, you won't even taste it and boom, there are your greens for the day. Flaxseed oil too. Celery. Carrots.
amy's cousin.
Post a Comment