I was determined to make it to church today. I heard Kleven get up at seven and a few minutes later, heard the tv downstairs turn on. I rolled out of bed about 20 minutes later. I was going to shower and be dressed and ready for church before the other two boys got up. Instead of getting right intot he shower, I figured I might as well feed the animals first, so I didn't get my church clothes dirty. I headed out the back door and saw the goats come running from the far end of the pasture area. Even Eleanor was bookin it faster than I'd seen her run in weeks. And then I saw it... the tell-tale bloody cord hanging out of her backside, swinging as she ran. "OH CRAP!" I immediately started screaming at her. "OH ELEANOR! NO! TELL ME YOU DIDN'T! NOT AGAIN!!! WHERE IS IT? WHERE DID YOU LEAVE IT!!!???" I was in panic mode, since the last experience ended badly, I was fully prepared to find another dead baby goat in the pasture. I could see something about 50 yards away that looked like it could be, but was it? Right as I took my first running stride, I heard a noise from inside the shelter to my left... "WHAT!?!?!" There in the corner, out of sight from almost anywhere, were two babies, and I could see both their faces. I ran over to them and one lifted its head. I grabbed the other one hard around it's belly and gave it a shake. It was clear they were both alive. I was instantly overcome with relief. Then I apologized to Eleanor.
I carried the new baby boy and his sister into the house. They were crying pretty loud so I nuzzled my face deep into their necks and talked to them softly. Baby goats smell SO fresh right after they're born. I recognized that familar smell from a couple weeks ago. Kleven heard us coming and his face lit up when he realized they weren't Princess' babies and he was kind of in shock, wondering where they'd come from. It could have been a look of relief that I didn't make him watch the delivery this time around, since I'm pretty sure he's scarred from Princess' delivery. I plopped them down in his lap on the couch while I ran upstairs to get my phone. They look just like their mama! Creamy white with gorgeous, tan spots! The little boy has an extra couple spots of a beautiful gray/brown. They're already as big as their 2 1/2 week old friends. So far, Eleanor has proven to be an excellent mama. She'll even stop eating to let them nurse, instead of kicking them away. If it weren't raining today, I'd be right out there with them.
We DID end up making it to church. After a meltdown on Kleven's part, and pulling in to the parking lot nearly an hour late, I realized Merrick's sippy cup was upside-down in his carseat, so I had to put everyone BACK in the car and drive home for some dry pants. We made it into the building right as our ward was exiting the chapel. I walked the two big boys to Primary and Merrick and I took out seat in the back of the Sunday School room. He was being an ANGEL today. Total fluke, I'm sure. Not more than 10 minutes into the lesson the door opened and I got pulled out to go help in a nursery class. I get asked to sub almost every week, but I'd never been in nursery before today, and I DON'T want to go back. I feel bad for the teachers of that class. They were there, but needed extra hands. I soon found out why... There's a terror in there and I was scared of him after about five minutes. He only punched me in the face once, while holding a hard plastic troll doll, but he also pretended to be a shark and bite by shoulder and later, he smacked me with a toy stethoscope because I wouldn't let him listen to my heart. I wanted to lock him in the toy cabinet. It was the only way to keep everyone safe. If I were the nursery leader, he wouldn't be allowed in there without one of his parents. Or in a straight jacket.
Sunday, February 20, 2011
Kids
Posted by The Ayers Family at 1:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Difficult kids typically do have parents in nursery. Sorry your experience with it wasn't a fun one. I do enjoy being in our nursery. Not always my favorite place to be but we've got 4 snugglers and that is way better than a meanie!
Glad the goats are all good. I know you were worried about them!
Oh! More sweet baby goats! Sorry about nursery! Ryder has been in nursery for a few months and I ALWAYS ask his teacher each time I pick him up how he was - and I tell them to be totally honest with me. I want to know if my kid is being "that kid"! ;)
Awww! I need to bring my kids to come see them! So cute! And is it bad that I would rather be taking care of "that kid" in nursery than hearing about "that woman" in relief society!?
I am loving your blog updates of life on the farm LOL!!
Sorry about the terror.. Do the parents know he's that bad????
Post a Comment